Thursday, August 10, 2006

Up Up With People



It was 20 years ago that I traveled in a group called Up With People. After a year and a semester at Millsaps College in Jackson, MS, I went to Tucson, AZ to learn the Up With People show and then travel! Now, for those of you that do not know, UWP is an international organization for people 18-29 with an opportunity to travel the world living with host families in communities, doing positive work in the communities they visit using music as a way to open doors and spread the message of peace and love. OK, it is much more updated version these days speaking of community involvement, and focusing on a specific charity in a community that the cast will work for and then the show profits will be donated(no peace and love mentioned), BUT it did all grow out of the peace movement in the 60's.



It was an amazing experience. The cast was 120 people. We traveled around the US with a LOT of time spent in TX doing a corporate tour for Sun Oil Company that was celebrating some anniversary. We went to Canada, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. My Italian host moms prodded me to eat and eat and then laughed and pinched my cheeks and fat. I did enjoy the food in Italy except the day I couldn't understand what kind of meat they were feeding me, until my host mom whinnied. OH...Horse! Awww. I stayed in incredible places with wonderful families. I had a host dad in Germany come to get me and my 2 HUGE pieces of luggage on a bicycle. I stayed with nuns in a convent, learned a little bit of German, saw beautiful places, sad places, and met many interesting and wonderful people.




When the year ended, I thought that I would never lose touch with my Up With People family. 20 years later...It had been 15 years since I'd been in touch. How does that happen? We reunited in Tucson, AZ and it was so much fun! So good to see everyone who seemed to change so little. It was really an overwhelming experience and very emotional. It is difficult to explain what the Up With People year and the cast members meant to me. I'm just going to post some pictures. Enjoy the styles of the 80's! You may ask, if you had limited space, Jill, why did you bring that Mickey Mouse sweatshirt? Well, the white chenille stretch pants I'm wearing with it went with anything. You just had to make sure your socks were the right color to complement your outfit.




Ahhh...Up With People. So, if a show is ever in your area...Host a cast member from around the world! Go see the show, it will make you smile and leave you thinking anything is possible. And...If you are between the ages of 18-29 and would like an amazing educational experience while reaching out to others, give Up With People a try!




3 comments:

Jim Lawson said...

Jill - I remember my first encounter with Up With People. I was a little boy in upstate New York on a vacation with my family. They were sing in a resort town named Chautauqua. I can still remember the UWP theme song they sang.

I never knew that I was performing with an UWP star all of these years. If I'd known you were that kind of star I would have asked you a ton of questions and maybe an autograph. I'm impressed!

Jill Ruemke Schmidt said...

It is so nice to have other people than your Mother comment on your blog! Thank you. I do a mean rendition of the Up With People song.

Anonymous said...

Jill, it did sound and look like an incredible experience! Glad you had the opportunity!