Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lydia's 5th B-Day

Happy Birthday to Lydia & Cousin Karen!

We have had some busy days around here. We went to Harrah's Rincon with my Mom and sister Linda. After teaching the kids to gamble so they could get new shoes, we sat around the pool all day. It was great fun. Lydia has completed Level 3 of Red Cross swimming and can dive as well as freestyle swim the Olympic length pool.

Then we came home to have Lydia's family birthday party. Karen couldn't make it, so we had to save that for Saturday.

Saturday was the kids party at the YMCA. We had 16 kids plus some extra siblings. Craziness. Thank goodness for my Mom and Linda pre-party helping Joel and me out. Grandpa Ed got the party supplies before he left, Joel was in charge of food, Mom and Lydia did goody bags, Linda made cupcakes and cleaned up after us. What did I do, you might ask? Well, we needed a manager. I might want to take a course. My Mom said we should order a cake, but Lydia wanted Hello Kitty cupcakes. I couldn't find anyone willing to make them, so I said I would do them. Mom said, just order the cake, making them will be too much. I insisted it would be easy. I bought the supplies, but when Linda went to make them the night before, there were no eggs. We were tired, so went to bed. Linda got up early the next morning to make them, but we had no oil (got the eggs). I had to take Lydia to opening day for soccer, so I asked my Mom to get the oil. When I got home from opening day, the party was in 1 1/2 and the cupcakes were coming out of the oven. After they cooled, I frosted and decorated one with Hello Kitty. After my Mom stopped laughing, she offered to decorate. So, she sat there the next hour painstakingly decorating each cupcake. I said it would be easy.

We got to the party at the last minute, threw up decorations. Lydia and the kids had a blast. A big thank you to Karen, Chris, Tony and Marguerite for all of their help at the party.

Afterward, we came back to the house and put up THE SLIDE. The MD, VA Schmidt Clan gave Lydia the most amazing slide for the pool for her birthday. Lydia, Ryan, Little Tony, and friend Olivia had a wild and fun time. It is a huge hit. We sang to Karen, and wished her a happy birthday. We later all collapsed.

*Please note that this post has an aberration that will not allow me to add pictures.

No comments: