Sunday, June 01, 2008

Kids for Peace

The kids and I have joined an organization called Kids for Peace. It is good to be part of this outreach group and helping to teach the kids that they can make a difference. They had a performance for a fundraiser for another organization at a Dinner Club in La Jolla a few weeks ago. We were kind of new to the group and still meeting people, but Lydia and Ryan took part. Lydia, the little pro, had a couple of lines and the song memorized. Ryan, on the other hand, was just excited to be there. Very excited. As they were going inside to head up on stage for the Kids for PEACE show, he pulled his little pretend guns (finger and thumb always handy) from his pockets and started loudly shooting his friends. "Pow! Pow!" I am a few people away from him and trying to grab him before he goes on stage with a Kids for Peace shootout in front of a large audience. I finally get to him and explain that he can't do that. He is saying, "Mom, it's just pretend." He agrees to stop, so I allow him on stage where he punctuates everyone else's lines with karate chops and pulls on Lydia's arms to entertain himself. She spends much time with a frozen smile trying to shake him off. I was too horrified to take pictures. All in all the show was very cute, the audience enjoyed it, and there is nothing better than hearing kids talk and sing about creating positive change in the world beginning with themselves. Maybe some will rub off on my gunslinging boy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill I can relate to Ryan's activities since most of the boys in my class are always shooting or blowing up something!!!

Krissy Doyle said...

That is so wonderful and funny at the same time!

Antonio said...

I would love to have seen video of that.