Sunday, November 18, 2007

Note for you East Coasters

I was at Lydia's school on Friday and I heard a teacher saying, "No running in the halls." This may seem like a perfectly normal statement to all, but to me it always seems funny here on the west coast. You see, all of the "halls" are sidewalks. All of the classrooms here have a door that is outside. The schools are generally not buildings with halls, so if a student is going to another class or part of the school, they walk outside to wherever they might be going. They also eat lunch outside. On the rare occasions that it rains, they may have a covered outside area where they will eat, bring tables into an auditorium, or just eat in the classrooms depending on the school. It seems funny to me that they call the sidewalks "halls", but they do.

3 comments:

Antonio said...

Believe it or not, I've actually always noticed the outdoor hallways, tables, and lockers when watching TV shows with school scenes that take place in CA.

Right now I'm watching Veronica Mars which of course has the outdoor halls and tables. But on that show I also always noticed that most of the outdoor scenes always have a school bus in various spots around the building. Well here's the funny part. I just watched the behind the scenes video on the DVD. They mentioned that they strategically place a school bus in certain spots to hide buildings on the lot that aren't part of the set.

Jill Ruemke Schmidt said...

You know what's even funnier is that we really don't have school buses in San Diego County where Veronica Mars was filmed. Some extreme circumstances and a bit of special ed, but in general...no buses. Walk, or it is up to the parents.

Jonosin said...

I even remember the "halls" in my schools in Seattle were outside. The cafateria was indoors, but to get from room to room, you were outdoors. This where it rains all the time!