Wednesday, May 10, 2006

In Memoriam


10 years ago today, my sister Gail died. She was a wonderful, witty, creative, beautiful, intelligent person. I still miss her very much, but love when I see bits of her in Marie, Madelaine, and Heather. They will have an expression just like hers, or sound like her and I think how proud she would be of them.


Gail loved to laugh loudly and to live boldly. She also liked to "walk to the beat of a different drummer." She didn't like to do the predictable. When I was 5, she told me I should write with my left hand, because it was different. So I do, and it is the only thing that I do with my left hand. She also pretended to be a Martian, not just pretended, but embodied what she imagined a Martian might be-funny voice and all. I think she called herself "Moondog" and our dog was "Chicken Dog" and she terrorized the kids in the neighborhood who really thought she was a Martian. It didn't help that she had the dog chase them. For 2 years, whenever a neighborhood child was around, she did the Martian act. My friends wouldn't spend the night at my house because of my Martian sister. When we were older, she was kind and generous, but still fun and quirky.


She is missed, but is still beautiful, loving, and laughing in our hearts and memories.

No comments: